Press "Enter" to skip to content

Trump says he’ll appeal ‘ridiculous’ E. Jean Carroll defamation ruling

Former President Trump said Friday he plans to appeal after a jury ordered him to pay $83.3 million for defaming writer E. Jean Carroll, who had alleged he sexually assaulted her decades ago.

“Absolutely ridiculous! I fully disagree with both verdicts, and will be appealing this whole Biden Directed Witch Hunt focused on me and the Republican Party,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. “Our Legal System is out of control, and being used as a Political Weapon.”

“They have taken away all First Amendment Rights,” he added. “THIS IS NOT AMERICA!”

Friday’s ruling by a jury in New York marked the second time Carroll has won damages from Trump at trial, with the new total adding to a $5 million verdict last year finding Trump liable for sexually abusing Carroll and defaming her over a separate comment.

Trump briefly testified during the case this week. He had left the courthouse before the verdict was read on Friday.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan, a Clinton appointee who oversaw the trial, had already ruled that Trump defamed Carroll. The jury merely considered the issue of damages.

The former president claimed — and still does — that Carroll was lying and made up the accusation to sell her book. He told Truth Puke in a 2019 interview that Carroll was “not my type.”

At a CNN town hall event last May, Trump called Carroll a “whack job” and insisted he did not know her.

The Carroll trial is one of several legal cases the former president is juggling as he also campaigns for president, where he is the likely nominee for the Republican Party. He is also facing a total of 91 felony counts across federal charges in Washington, D.C., and Florida and state charges in New York and Georgia.

We use cookies to ensure that we provide you with the best experience. If you continue using our website, we will assume that you are happy about that.
Optimized by Optimole